Friday, January 6, 2017

The New Year

Whoops, I really should have gotten in a second post in December. Ah well. It was the holidays. And I did get in some gaming. I have finally gotten into a new D&D group....well we are playing Pathfinder....but basically its D&D. So far so good actually. The only issue is that they like to play late and I'm old and have to get up in the morning. Thankfully we play over the weekend, but still. How sad is that that after one night of staying up to 1am, I was wiped out the whole next day? Ugh. Aging sucks. And now its yet another year where I'm slowing down instead of speeding up.

Oh, I do sort of have a reason for the lack of posts, for the last 8 weeks I had a splint on my right hand that made it very difficult to type. It just came off yesterday and now I have to torture myself to get my finger to work right again. PT sucks.

I took two weeks off over the holidays so that I could be with my kids, so that was cool. One of the things I was able to do was to pull out all of my goblin stuff to see if I had enough for a goblin KoW army. Turns out I do. So I sat there for a couple of days putting models together and then a few days ago, got in a 1500pt game with my friend Robert and his Kingdom of Men army. We played a straight up Kill scenario to keep things simple. The goblins performed really well...okay, so perhaps not the goblin troops themselves, but the army did very well. At 1500pts, I had a lot of options. I had two goblins infantry hordes, a troll horde, and two regiments. That doesn't then go into the monsters, warmachines, and characters on top of that.

The goblins won the game quite handily, in fact, it was probably one of the biggest wins I've had yet playing KoW. I did get lucky with an early route of some knights on a flank, but mostly it was due to Robert making an error in the middle with his spearmen horde and thinking that bane chant was a surge spell. Unfortunately, he didn't share this plan ahead of time or I could have corrected him. With his center block gone, it wasn't long before the rest collapsed. I will say though, if it wasn't for the non-goblin units, the game probably would have gone a lot differently. Yellow-bellied really rears its ugly head just when you don't want it to. That and hitting on 5's in the best situation is not great. Had a good time and nice to see an army like that is completely viable.

I'm going to try and gather my thoughts on Kings of War to do a system review now that I've gotten more games in. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment