Monday, October 13, 2014

Fantasy League, week two

Howdy Sports Fans,

So week two had a new scenario, the checklist. Basically, you played an 1100 point game and you had a checklist of things that can happen in games. You received a point for each item you were able to accomplish. So for instance, getting your wizard sucked into the warp was one of the items. Passing a leadership test with insane courage was another. There were about 25 of these items that you could check off if all went well.

The list I brought this time was a bit heavy handed. Though some trades and sales, I was able to get my hands on a war sphinx and a screaming skull catapult. The sphinx was just sort of dumb luck, but I had to put it in my army. The catapult was actually my painting project for the week. It was the old version of the model, pre tomb kings. Since I am running mostly vamp units, I thought it would fit better. I also added a liche priest to my list because their magic is pretty sweet.

Level 2 necro with channel staff and 5+ ward.
Level 2 LP with 6+ ward vs war machines

20 vamp skeletons with full command
15 ghouls
5 dire wolves

war sphinx

2 morghast archai
screaming skull catapult

I was able to fit in two games. The first versus an all marauder army. It had a large block of marauders with a sorcerer and general in it, another smaller block of marauders, a unit of horsemen, two chariots, and a unit of hounds.

The table was nearly split by a river, and we were playing on 4'x4' areas, with quite a bit of terrain, so it was tight. I can't remember enough to give you a blow by blow, but I'll highlight the cool stuff. Going right to left from my point of view....
His horsemen took a bit of beating from the sphinxes flaming breath and then they charged into my ghouls. The ghouls eventually tore them down. My sphinx was double charged by his two chariots, and took two wounds without giving any back, but thanks to construct, he didn't pop. After that, my skeletons charged in, providing CR boost and the sphinx avoided any other wounds. Both chariots fled and were cut down. My morghasts failed a charge with triple ones against his big block, but it worked out as eventually they were able to charge his big block, which failed their terror check and were run down.  My wolves charged his dogs and held them up for a round before being wiped out. My spells healed most of my stuff and eventually all he had left were his dogs and his smaller marauder unit, which had gotten hit by the SSC, and in the end, the dogs got killed by the morghasts and the last marauders fled from the sphinx. All total, I lost a unit of wolves.

It was a very fun game though and actually had quite a bit of back and forth. We both missed some big charges and for the most part, the magic phase was uneventful. The huge turning point was the sphinx surviving the chariots, and his main block failing the terror test. We both quite quite a few points on the checklist.

My next game was against a fairly elite dwarf list. He had a lord and runesmith, plus a large unit of longbeards with GWs (lord went here), and then a unit of ironbreakers (runesmith), a unit of irondrakes, and a cannon. Again, just a brief synopsis.

I'll go left to right this time as the action sort of happened that way. My wolves vanguard up within charge range of his cannon, but he got first turn. His cannon fires, misfires, but due to rune, rerolls, and bounces a ball that falls short of my sphinx. The wolves fail a charge to the cannon by one inch. However, the SSC lands a shot right on top of it and blows it up (first time that ever worked for me). This lets the wolves and sphinx combo charge his ironbreakers, the sphinx to the front, the wolves to the flank. The tomb guard on the sphinx killing blow the runesmith. In abysmal rolling, his iron breakers don't do any wounds. And despite being steadfast, fail their Ld 10 test and flee directly towards the longbeards, letting my sphinx and wolves flank charge that unit. During this time, the morghast did a long 20" charge against the irondrakes, causing them to flee and get run down. My liche priest got off the big 5+ ward save to everyone spell, and then got sucked into the warp. My skeletons eventually charge the long beards that were fighting the sphinx and wolves. This let me counter his ranks and remove his steadfast, causing that unit to eventually flee. It then got burned by the fire breath of the sphinx as well and they eventually ran off the board, taking the dwarf lord with them. The iron breakers rallied and charged the ghouls in the flank, but was unable to crumble the unit. This led to counter charges from the morghasts and skeletons, which eventually led to the ironbreakers getting run down after fleeing 12" by the ghouls also rolling 12"! All total, I lost only my liche priest by the end of the game.

This game was fun as well, and could have totally turned out differently based on the dice. The fact that my sphinx dodged a cannonball was pretty spectacular, but then to have my SSC take it out in one shot was just amazing. The dwarfs also failed too many Ld 10 tests. And unlike my first game, I didn't fail any charges.

Hero unit: The war sphinx. Wow, this guy did his job. He held up units I could never have hoped to counter with just undead infantry. His toughness 8 stopped all comers. The four KB attacks it has makes it a threat to any character, and then it has four more, plus thunderstomp. It can deal out the wounds. The fire breath is a must.

Surprise unit: The ghouls. These guys just did their job. I knew if I could whittle down the marauder horsemen(10), then they could win against them, and they did. What really surprised me was how well they did against the dwarfs. Even against ironbreakers, these guys were killing off a model or two every round, and took surprisingly few wounds in return. They also held up after taking a flank charge. A unit of twenty would be better, but the fifteen is working out.

Notable Mention: The liche priest. Wow, TK magic rocks with End Times. The ability to march now and march again with the signature spell means these guys are incredibly mobile. Plus any buff spell they have will restore wounds. Granted, they can only restore once to some of the units, but it really worked out. The Vampire Magic was less impressive. However, with invocation hanging out there, and the winds spell, now I have two spells that my opponent needs to stop each phase.

Disappointment: Morghasts. Yeah, I know, how can I be disappointed with these guys after taking out a huge block of marauders, hounds, irondrakes, and then ironbreakers? Well, its like this, in combat, these guys actually didn't do much. Terror did a lot, and the super far charge range is great. But once stuck in, these guys were just not putting down the wounds. Seems like they should. I don't know, they just whiffed against the iron breakers time and time again. Basically, if not for stomps, they would have done almost nothing in that combat. But they are such a good utility unit. I think they really need four to be a real combat threat. But that is outside of the point value for this league.

So next week should be 1200 points. Maybe I'll add a BSB. That way the sphinx has -3 to crumble if the morghasts are close by. :)

And yes, I totally forgot to take pictures again. But I will take pics of the painted SSC crew and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment