Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Warhammer End Times

Warhammer Fantasy has been one of my favorite games ever since I got into it in the late 90's. I got into Rogue Trader back in the late 80's, but really only messed around with it a bit. Played some more of it in college, but really didn't go too deep. I had less than fifty models at that time, and those were scattered between marines, eldar, and squats. In the 90's some of my friends started warhammer fantasy. Now I had looked at it back when I first got into GW..but the sheer number of models needed scared me away.

Well now I had some friends getting into it, so I gave it another look. I looked at the Undead army because nothing seemed cooler than necromancers raising up an army of skeletons and zombies. Had I known something of the rules, I probably would have bought into it...but I didn't, and the stats looked horrible. So I instead went with the shiny new Wood Elf army that had just been released with an awesome new dragon model.

Flash forward nearly twenty years and I now own six sizable fantasy armies, and have had a few come and go. My current list contains the Vampire Counts, Orcs and Goblins, Dwarfs, Wood Elves, High Elves, and Beastmen. I've owned Empire, Dark Elves (twice), Lizardmen and Tomb Kings. Chaos never really interested me, nor Deamons...and while the Skaven are cool...another horde army is not what I want. Never could connect with Bretonnia and the Ogres were just meh.

Anyways, I used to be huge into WFB. I went to Grand Tournaments and organized events. I was a constant figure in the local tournament scene and earned a few trophies here and there. But all things wax and wane and so did WFB. I've tried to keep up with it over the years, buying books for my armies as they came out, and occasionally getting new models. But nothing ever re-lit the spark.

Well now GW released the End Times, book one, Nagash. A whole new story line featuring my favorite army, the Undead, has crashed into the Warhammer lore and hopefully has started a big change. I've read the fluff book and loved it, even when it broke my heart once or twice. The new book is breathing new life into the Undead armies of Warhammer as well.

That, coupled with my local game club starting up an escalation league...well, it seems now is a great time to paint up an Undead army once more. I was so inspired that I wrote up a quick 1000pt list, pulled out models, and did some priming last night.

First step was the priming board. I took one of my game table 2x4s and drilled half inch screws into it so that my magnetized models would be secure. Then I primed away:



And there you go. One regiment of ghouls ready for painting. I was able to get my skeletons, corpse cart, and crypt horrors done as well. Tune in for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment